Are you wondering how to get the best out of your wedding photos?
We are a husband and wife photography duo based in Glasgow Scotland with a romantic, relaxed & light & airy fine art style. We shoot weddings all over Scotland, the UK, Canada and Worldwide. Our shooting style is authentic with no cheesy and forced pose in sight. We love to capture in a documentary fashion to capture as much emotion as we can. With 8 years of experience, we can say we are very well versed in all things wedding day.
Not sure what you are looking for our of your wedding photographer? does the thought of posing for photos give you the heebie-jeebies? not to worry! In this post, I’ll chat all things couples photo session. Using some of our favourite photos of 2017 I shall walk you through some hints and tips on how to rock those photos.
What will I cover in this post?
- Tips you may have never thought of on where to save to ensure you can book that photographer you just love.
- Tips on how to prepare to get the best out of your photo session.
- Tips on how to rock that photo session on the day.
Why invest in a photographer you love as opposed to one that will fit within your budget?
It’s plain and simple really. So many of the things you will budget for into your day will be things that won’t last beyond your wedding day, but your photos will and for a very long time. You owe it to yourself and your family to invest in this part of the day in order to end up with photos you simply love and can’t stop looking at. I know there is a budget you need to try and stick to but I am being honest and not just biased in saying that photography is not where you want to save on.
Here are some tips on how to make some wiggle room in your budget:
- I am going to sound like the bad guy here but invite who you want to invite. There is no need to invite the extended cousin you never speak to, or the ones your parents tell you to invite. If you aren’t sure on someone they should be a no. You will enjoy your day more if you are surrounded by people you actually want there. In addition to this, fewer people means more budget for things that really matter to you. No offence to anyone.
- Get married on a weekday! You can save a bit of money on the venue and put it towards that Photographer you love!
- Have your ceremony in the same place. This way no need to spend money on cars if they are just an afterthought to you.
- Know what you don’t need and what are just extras which you would like.
Read on for more!
How to prepare before to get the best out of your photo session
- Book that photographer you simply love. I have said it above but if you don’t and you just go with a photographer just because they are cheap…you will be in a world of hurt on the day (disorganisation and awkwardness) and afterwards (left with photos you don’t like).
- Have an engagement shoot. Have a peek at one of our blog posts here on why we recommend it.
- Research on poses and photos you love. Pinterest is amazing for that! Have a peek at our Pinterest page for ideas here.
- Look at different blogs to get an idea on how poses flow and how natural, emotional and unforced photos are so much better!!! Check out this honeymoon shoot we did in Glencoe! and this Wedderburn Barns wedding.
- Don’t stress over it. We call it a photo walk and it’s super nice and relaxed and surprisingly fun!
How to rock that photo session for photos you will just simply adore!
- TRUST US! We have your back. We have experience. Let us go with the flow of our creativity. If there is a shot you want, let us know of it before. Suggesting shots while we are shooting isn’t always a great idea. We really appreciate it when couples are confident with us and what we are going to achieve and capture.
- HAVE FUN together and with us. I often make fun of my excitement and weird expressions during a photo session so if you don’t find me a weirdo then you will laugh. Don’t be afraid to laugh at my expense!
- RELAX. If you are a bit nervous, shake it off!
- ALWAYS keep hands on each other, interact with each other. This will guarantee to create some more genuine and intimate romantic photos.
- DON’T insult yourself. It’s so offputting. Sorry just being honest! It makes a situation so awkward.
- Please don’t question what we are capturing. Nothing is worse than hearing a couple saying “you’re not capturing that are you”. TRUST US!
- CONSIDER the light. We will always suggest at what time you should have your ceremony depending on what time of year you are getting married in. This is important. If you love our style…we need light!
- DON’t be afraid to walk off the beaten path during your photo session. Sometimes this makes the best photographs. Good photographers always think outside the box, so if they are suggesting it…go with it!
- PLEASE oh please do not fret about your dress. Your dress can be cleaned. Actually, no matter what you will need to get your dress cleaned, so why let it get in the way of you getting those incredible shots.
- Leave ENOUGH TIME. Let us work with you on your timeline to ensure we get enough time to get what we need. I’m only talking 1/2 an hour here, which is not a lot but we can achieve tons. If you are getting in the car to go elsewhere then we need to work that in as well.
- Have a FIRST LOOK if you are short on time. We adore a first look. Want to read up on what this is exactly. Look at our post here.
- If you get married between May and September SPLIT your session into two 15 minute sessions or so. Golden hour in the evening is AMAZING for photos!
- BE YOURSELVES!
…just enjoy the day!!!!! If you enjoy your day with no stress or worries or second guessing then your photos will be EPIC!