Wedding Planning: A Guide to Planning Your Dream Wedding
Wedding planning can be an exciting yet overwhelming experience. With so many decisions to make, from choosing a venue to selecting the perfect dress, it’s easy to feel lost or overwhelmed. That’s why we’ve created this comprehensive guide to help you plan your dream wedding, from start to finish.
Wedding Planning Tips
Before you dive into the details, it’s important to set a realistic budget and timeline for your wedding. This will help you stay on track and avoid overspending. Once you have a budget and timeline in place, you can start to research and book vendors, such as a venue, caterer, photographer, and videographer.
Wedding Planning Guide
To help you stay organised and on track, we’ve created a comprehensive wedding planning checklist. This checklist includes everything you need to do, from booking a venue to sending out invitations. You can use this checklist to keep track of your progress and make sure you don’t forget anything important.
- Get engaged! (Congratulations!) Check out our posts on proposals if this is something you would like.
- Set a budget.
- Decide on a date and time.
- Start researching venues.
- Interview potential photographers (if we can’t help you here we have some fantastic recommendations) and videographers.
- Create a guest list.
- Start shopping for wedding bands.
- Begin planning the honeymoon.
- Consider hiring a wedding planner if needed.
- Maybe arrange an engagement photoshoot to announce in style and get practise in front of the camera.
- Book your venue.
- Select and order your wedding dress or suit
- Send out save-the-dates.
- Book a caterer and order your wedding cake, flowers and décor.
- Book rentals for any equipment or furniture you need.
- Choose your bridesmaids’ dresses and groomsmen’s attire.
- Arrange for alterations and fittings.
- Book hair and makeup services.
- Hire transportation and/or wedding cars.
- Design and order wedding invitations and any other stationery.
- Consider insurance.
- Create and submit your marriage license application.
- Book your honeymoon flights and accommodations.
- Plan any pre-wedding events, such as showers, bachelor/bachelorette parties, and rehearsal dinners.
Six Months to Go – Wedding Countdown
- Make a final guest count and update your guest list.
- Arrange for transportation for the wedding party and guests.
- Plan any activities or entertainment for the reception.
- Send out invitations once you’ve established a basic timeline with venue and photographer.
- Review your budget and make any necessary adjustments.
- Double-check all of your vendor contracts and confirm all arrangements.
Three Months to Go – The Final Stretch
- Send out final reminders to guests about the wedding.
- Schedule your final fitting for your wedding dress or suit.
- Go over the shot list and any other details with your photographer.
- Arrange for alterations and fittings for bridesmaids’ dresses and groomsmen’s attire.
- Purchase any last-minute items for the wedding, such as favors, decorations, or accessories.
- Confirm all transportation arrangements.
- Review your wedding day schedule and make any necessary changes.
- Make sure you have all of your paperwork in order, such as your marriage license and any required permits.
One Month to Go – The Panic Begins
- Review your wedding day schedule again and make sure you have all of the important details.
- Check in with your vendors to make sure everything is on track.
- Make a list of what you want to pack for your wedding day bag and honeymoon luggage.
- Relax and enjoy the process!
The Week of the Wedding
- Start packing your wedding day bag and for your honeymoon.
- Attend your rehearsal.
- Set up any décor at the venue.
- Relax and enjoy the time with your loved ones.
The Wedding Day!
- Have a wonderful day.
- Make sure to take time for the two of you.
- Celebrate the night away!
Wedding Advice from Experienced Photographers
We’ve also compiled some advice from being experienced wedding photographers to help you plan your dream wedding. This advice includes tips on making the best of your morning preps, to florals to decor to speeches. Check them out below.
The do's and dont's of speeches For whoever is required to write a speech this is such a nerve-wracking part of a wedding. For guests in attendance, a speech which is short and sweet is best and appreciated. This keeps things light and means there is less chance of...
Tips to take advantage of the Golden Hour It is no surprise when I say that people love those warm golden lit photographs. They bring a feeling of happiness, comfort and well being. So if we have the chance to snap some photos of our wedding couple in this magical...
How to get great wedding photos Getting the most out of your photo session is a topic that comes up over and over again so because of this, I had already written a post on this in the past to cover all these questions and points. I have attached a link at the bottom...
All about the wedding bouquets & florals We all know that florals play an integral part on a wedding day. According to brides magazine, this is the tradition behind flowers at weddings. "The practice of brides carrying bouquets dates to antiquity," Owens tells...
Scottish Weddings Decor Who doesn't love flicking through some beautiful wedding decor inspiration? Well, we thought we would share some of our 2019 weddings which included an opportunity to finally work on a wedding alongside the AMAZING Lemonbox Studios girls! (...
How to plan the perfect wedding ceremony Are you planning your wedding and looking for fresh advice on how to plan your wedding ceremony? Then read on as we are here to help you. Using some highlights from our 2019 wedding season, we are here to give you some helpful...
How to elope to Scotland Are you thinking of keeping things small? as in just the two of you small or the two of you and a handful of your nearest and dearest? Then eloping may be the perfect thing for you. Why? Well here is a wee list from our point of view on why a...
How to Make the best of your wedding morning? We have been wedding photographers for over 10 years now so let's just say we have a lot of handy tips and tricks to enable smooth sailing on your wedding morning. Are you dreaming of special moments being made? relaxing...
Are you planning a Chinese wedding? We've got a whole lot of handy tips coming your way... so read on and enjoy! Using photos of Sunny & Christopher's day which took place in June. We absolutely adored spending time with these two and their entourage for 2 weeks...
What To Do If It Rains On Your Wedding Day Whilst we can assure you that you can count on us on your wedding day, we can’t count on the weather. We can’t promise snow for a winter wedding; we can’t promise sun for a summer one, and we definitely can’t promise the...
Are you wondering how to get the best out of your wedding photos? We are a husband and wife photography duo based in Glasgow Scotland with a romantic, relaxed & light & airy fine art style. We shoot weddings all over Scotland, the UK, Canada and Worldwide. Our...
Stuck on what to jot down? You'll find some top tips on wedding speeches here! Along with some of our favourite speeches and evening fun shots of 2017, we will give you some of our advice on how to write an awesome speech. Where do I start? Stuck on how to get those...
Are you going to be a guest at a wedding? Read on for handy hints and tips It is more than likely that at one point you will find yourself in a two to three year spell of constant weddings to attend. All your friends are getting hitched. The thought of it is enough to...
Looking for decor ideas? Well, here are some hints and tips! Using some of our favourite photos of 2017 perhaps this kick start your research into what really makes your heart sing and what makes you really excited. Research should always be your first go to as it...
Why are wedding formal photos so important? You may not want them and get short of breath and feel dread at the thought of getting these done but they are extremely important. Here are our top tips for breezing through them like a pro giving you no time whatsoever to...
One of the most important days in a couples life is their wedding day. You spend weeks, months, maybe even years planning your dream wedding. When it’s all over, you want those special moments captured, to have on hand to relive and share for years to come. You only...
How to get the best out of your bridal preps. This is a post for all you Scottish brides out there or those eloping to Scotland. Using some of our favourite photos this post shall be full of our handy hints and tips. How can I get the best out of my photographs on the...
Lets not forget the boys so here is the low down on groom preps using some of our best of 2017 snaps. It’s a pretty common remark we get that the guys are not too bothered about having morning preparations photographed but perhaps this blog will change your mind....